Saturday, September 1, 2012

Syracuse Week 1

HOLY CRAP I LOVE THIS PLACE! No but seriously, I love it here at SU. All of my doubts and hesitations have completely been erased this past week. I have now been to all of my classes (even though my schedule might be changing---I'll explain later). By far my favorite teacher/class is Geri's intro to theatre class. On the second day of class she had all the stage managers and designers stand up in class and then told the performance majors that they had better be nice to and get to know us because unlike the performers, we aren't a dime a dozen and will probably get work right out of school and more than likely get the performers their first job. GLORIOUS MOMENT. All of the tech people were very happy she did that! None of the other classes are that interesting. Hopefully that'll change soon.

Quick explanation as to why my schedule might change--after sitting through my classes, I realized that I have taken these exact classes before at SBCC. They just didn't count them as transferrable classes because they had different NAMES. I'm going to talk to my advisor on Tuesday and explain I've taken these classes and hopefully I can take a class I haven't already taken.

In addition to my 16 credit course load, I'm also going to be assistant stage managing 2 shows this semester (I'm in rehearsal for "One Thousand Cranes" already and will be doing "Seascape" a week after I finish with Cranes). I was talking to my stage manager and she said nobody ever gets to ASM two mainstage shows in one semester so I guess I'm extra special :) I was also elected the Stage Manager Representative for the newest group of SMs. That doesn't mean anything for me this semester, but next semester myself and the other freshmen reps will be in charge of writing the farewell skit to the seniors. I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Oh and I got a job too! It's only a couple hours a week, but it's a work-study position in the production office at Syracuse Stage. Basically, it's wonderful because it establishes connections for me, not to mention that my job, classes and rehearsal space are all on the same block of Syracuse. So this means I'm pretty much going to live at Syracuse Stage...and I'm okay with that :P

That's a quick summary of this week. I'm going to love it here! Ta-ta for now!


(The above building is Crouse Hall---the main building for the College of Visual and Performing Arts. However my friend and I have named it Hogwarts.)

1 comment: